January 12, 2009

Dyeing Wool

So before Christmas I started dyeing store bought wool yarn for my dryer balls. White is cheaper, plus dyeing it yourself lets you choose the colors. Well that got my mom thinking.She was just sure somewhere in her basement was some wool yarn my Grandma Witherow spun. A coupe weeks ago we went andhunted it down. We were thinking a couple of hanks, but the bag was full. In the bag we found a receipt for the book my grandma used to help her spin it.. It was dated 1982! How cool! So my mom asked me to dye it up and then she would make something for each grandkid out of it. I dyed a hank 2 weeks ago, but tried a different style and wasn't happy with it. My mom loved it. Lol! Today I finally had time to do it my normal way and got all but 5 hanks done. WooHoo! I took pictures so everyone can see.
Here is a hank soaked and ready for dye
Photobucket
In the blues
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
A hank before soaking
Photobucket
Soaking
Photobucket
Photobucket
Added yellow to the blues
Photobucket
Ready to be rinsed
Photobucket
Drying
Photobucket
Next colors in
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Another soaking
Photobucket
Green and purple drying
Photobucket
Red and green
Photobucket
All of them drying
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
All in all I'm really happy with how the colors turned out. They are all varigated and should knit up awesome. I'll post pitures tomorrow once they are dry and then again when my mom gets some knit. I'm thinking I need to buy more plain Fisherman's Wool to dye so my mom can knit some longies. I would but I'd ratther spend my free time sewing. I made Desi some Aemerican Girl clothes the other night. I'll post some pictures of them later.
Pardon any errors. Thanks to Wycie I'm typing one-handed.